· Buildings significantly alter the environment.
· New construction and renovation should employ green building design and materials.
According to Worldwatch Institute, building construction consumes 40% of the raw stone, gravel, and sand used globally each year, and 25% of the virgin wood. Buildings also account for 40 % of the energy and 16% of the water used annually worldwide. In the United States, about as much construction and demolition waste is produced as municipal garbage. Unhealthy indoor air is found in 30% of new and renovated buildings worldwide (69).
There are a number of things builders can do to decrease the impact their buildings have on the surrounding environment:
· Reuse materials from other construction sites or buildings that have closed
· Purchase products made from recycled or rapidly renewable materials
· Source sustainably harvested, FSC Certified wood